Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Summer 2009, by Jonathan


Following is an essay Jonathan had to write for speech class. The picture above actually has nothing to do with the essay, but in an ironic kind of way captures his essence. Interpret that how you like... :)


My Summer Achievement

My brother went off to do an apprenticeship for the summer. As he was gone, all his chores fell to me. In addition to my own chores, I had to take care of his dogs, which included a brand new litter of puppies. So I was a little concerned about all my responsibilities for the summer, which included caring for my two sheep, my four pigs, and my brother's dogs.


Most people think that sheep are meek-hearted, tender little animals. Well, they're not. The first time I realized this was when they busted out of their pen and I had to get them back in. I'd get them just inside the fence, and they'd just jump back out. Also, it was a good day when I did not receive bruises from the ram. He could never resist butting me when he got the chance.


My four pigs did not require a lot of attention at first. It was quite easy walking their feed and water to whatever pasture they were rooting up. But moving them to another pasture took a lot of convincing, and in the end we had to practically drag one with a lasso. We had to do that three times!


Raising puppies is a lot harder than I expected. At three weeks old they can walk around, so I had to start feeding them and playing with them. The food had to soak in warm water until soft, and I had to make sure all eight got plenty. Playing sessions happened each morning and afternoon. This was fun, but eight are unpredictable. I lost many a good t-shirt to sharp teeth.


The summer was even harder than I thought it would be, but I survived. It was a great relief to have my brother back and doing his own chores. I guess I can say my summer was a success. The puppies are selling, the sheep are having a lamb, and I now only have three pigs--and some bacon in the freezer.


Jonathan Cannon, age 11

No comments:

Post a Comment